2019-2020 Application Cycle Open March 11, 2019 - May 17, 2019
The Family Nurse Practitioner Residency Class of 2019-2020 will commence on October 12, 2019.
All required documents must be completed and submitted by May 17, 2019 for consideration.
LifeLong Medical Care is an innovative, nonprofit, Federally Qualified Health Center serving Alameda, Contra Costa, and Marin Counties. It has served the community for more than 40 years. LifeLong has 16 primary care health centers, three dental centers, two dental vans, an adult day health center, four school-based health centers, a supportive housing program, mental health services, and immediate/urgent care centers. Our patient-centered health home is a dynamic place to work, practice, and grow.
The LifeLong Medical Care Nurse Practitioner Residency Program is a 12-month intensive training program designed to prepare Family Nurse Practitioners in their first year of practice to provide comprehensive, competent and compassionate care to a diverse and often disadvantaged urban population across the lifespan using an evidence-based, trauma-informed and collaborative approach.
The residency is a full-time, 12-month salaried and benefitted position. The residency will run from October 12, 2019 to October 9, 2020. Currently there are four residency slots available split between our West Berkeley Family Practice and Brookside San Pablo Health Center with specialty rotations at other clinics.
Precepted continuity clinic (6-7 half days/week)
Two residents paired with one experienced clinician who is exclusively dedicated to teaching during that clinic, gradual ramp up schedule. Residents develop their own panel with pediatric and adult patients.
Mentored specialty clinic (1-2 half days/week)
One resident attached to one clinician, who has their own schedule, gradual ramp up schedule. Specialty rotations located across LifeLong’s 20 health centers and include gerontology, psychiatry, podiatry, urgent care and MAT (medication assisted treatment).
Procedure clinic (1 half day/month or equivalent)
With guidance from one dedicated clinician, residents gain competence & confidence in common gynecologic, orthopedic and dermatologic procedures.
Didactics (1 half day/week)
This includes case conferences, journal club and case-based and conversational presentations by experienced clinicians from throughout LifeLong and the community. Curriculum focuses on providing quality care to vulnerable populations with complex medical and psychosocial problems.
Quality Improvement project (1 half day/month or equivalent)
This is an opportunity for residents to develop leadership and systems improvement skills through year-long team-based QI Project.
- Full-time, salaried position
- Paid time off, sick and vacation
- Medical and dental benefits
- 403B retirement plan
- CME funds
- DEA reimbursed
- Completed MSN or DNP program within last 18 months
- California state RN & NP license by start of program
- Family Nurse Practitioner certified by accredited agency by start of program
- Demonstrated commitment to work in safety net setting
- Bilingual (especially Spanish) required for some positions, preferred for others
How to apply
The following items are required for a complete application.
- MSN or DNP transcripts (Up until current date. Proof of graduation not necessary to apply.)
- Three letters of recommendations (one academic, one professional and one of your choice.)
- Personal statement (approx. 2 pages)
- What personal, professional, educational and/or clinical experiences have led you to choose to work as an FNP in a safety net setting?
- What goals do you want to accomplish during your residency at LifeLong? Please identify any specific areas of interest, e.g. lifecycle, age, specialty areas.
- Tell us about your short and long-term career goals, including where you see yourself post-residency (both location and job role).
- This is a rigorous full-time program that requires study and prep time outside of clinic. How do you plan on balancing your work and home life?
If unable to send all documents to email provided, please mail them to the following address:
LifeLong Medical Care Residency Program
Attn: Kirsten Flagg
616 16th St.
Oakland, CA 94612
|March 11, 2019||Application opens|
|May 17, 2019||Application deadline|
|Late-May||First round of interviews|
|October 12, 2019||Residency starts|
LifeLong Medical Care is an Equal Opportunity Employer.