Caring for the whole person, the whole family, and the whole community.
Welcome to the LifeLong Medical Care’s Family Medicine Residency. LifeLong is a well-established and highly regarded community health center in the San Francisco East Bay Area. Our program was accredited by the ACGME in April 2019 and was developed to fill a need to train more highly skilled family medicine physicians to work in urban underserved outpatient medicine practices. We provide a nontraditional, community medicine based educational experience with a focus on full scope outpatient family practice. We are fortunate to offer inpatient rotations at several hospitals with strong academic teaching programs.
We are seeking residents who demonstrate a commitment to the family medicine model of care. We distinguish ourselves by our innovative curriculum that takes the resident outside of the exam room and into the community. Our program is tailored to prepare residents for the real world demands of the modern outpatient family doctor. We are excited to be a new, cutting edge, robust, and mission driven program deeply connected to the community we serve.
Dr. Deborah Simon-Weisberg
LifeLong Medical Care developed this program to provide a robust educational experience for the next generation of family medicine physicians. Our organization has more than 40 years of experience caring for a complex safety net population of all ages, strong clinical and outreach programs, and longstanding community relationships. We offer you the optimal learning environment to become a leader in healthcare.
We aim to educate and train a thriving workforce of highly qualified and diverse residents who are inspired to address the comprehensive healthcare needs of undeserved communities.
We are a Teaching Health Center program focused on training residents in community-based primary care settings. We are located at the LifeLong William Jenkins Health Center, a brand new, state-of-the-art outpatient health center in Richmond, CA. The health center has primary care for all ages, integrated behavioral health, dental, and urgent care, as well as, imaging and wellness center. The health center will serve as the resident’s continuity clinic throughout the program. Residents have access to private workspace, lounge, conference spaces and sunny balconies.
- Community health center sponsored and accredited program within a well established and highly regarded community health center.
- Multicultural urban, safety net patient population spanning all ages.
- Integrated behavioral health, including MAT.
- Non-traditional community medicine opportunities such as street medicine and house calls.
- Innovative curriculum with a focus on leveraging community resources to impact social determinants of health.
- Group medical visit model for prenatal, parenting, and chronic conditions.
- Emphasis on team-based care to achieve efficiency and high-quality care in the resident’s health center.
- Exposure to complementary alternative medicine integrated within primary care.
- Family Medicine Outpatient (3 blocks):
- Panel Management
- Healthcare Systems
- Patient Safety
- Quality Improvement
- Population Health
- Community Medicine (3 blocks)
- Behavioral Medicine (3 blocks)
- Child & Adolescent Health (2 blocks)
- Comprehensive Reproductive Care (1 block)
- Outpatient Procedures (2 blocks)
- Inpatient and Emergency Pediatrics (3 blocks)
- Obstetrics (3 blocks)
- Medical Specialties (2 blocks)
- Surgery Specialties (1 block)
- Newborn Care (1 block)
Robust inpatient training will occur at the following East Bay Area partner hospitals with well established GME programs:
- UCSF Benioff Children’s Hospital (Oakland, CA)
- Kaiser Permanente East Bay (Richmond, CA & Oakland, CA)
- Sutter Alta Bates Summit Medical Center (Berkeley, CA)
- Contra Costa Regional Medical Center (Martinez, CA)
- Demonstrated experience and future interest in caring for underserved populations in a safey-net setting.
- Attracted to a rigorous full scope family practice training program.
- Desire to be a driver of healthcare change and leaders in their work and community.
- Bilingual preferred (especially Spanish).
- Interested in shaping a new residency program in a community health setting.
LifeLong Medical Care is an Equal Opportunity Employer.