Now accepting applications for 2021-2022.
Overview of the Program
AmeriCorps is the national service program that engages Americans of all ages and backgrounds in service in the five priority areas of education, public safety, environment, homeland security, and other human needs. AmeriCorps service gives it members the opportunity to impact change in underserved communities, gain valuable life experience, and take steps toward their own future goals.
Mission & Vision
LifeLong’s AmeriCorps program mission is to become pipeline for careers in community health centers that is improving access to primary and preventative care services for the medically underserved communities that we serve.
AmeriCorps Health Fellows are an asset to communities by bridging healthcare and national service. The power of AmeriCorps provides the tools and resources to impact the lives of many. AmeriCorps is a stepping-stone to a brighter future not only for the individual who serves but to the communities they serve. The AmeriCorps program provides a continuous avenue of professional development and personal growth.
AmeriCorps Health Fellows receive a living allowance stipend (taxable) during their term of service. The modest living stipend is meant to assist AmeriCorps Health Fellows with their living expenses during their term of service. The living allowance for full-time AmeriCorps programs in the 2021-22 program year is $13,000. LifeLong Medical Care matches a higher living allowance, totaling $18,000.
LifeLong Medical Care provides, or makes available, healthcare insurance to AmeriCorps Health Fellows if they are not otherwise covered by a healthcare policy at the time they begin the time term of service. LifeLong Medical Care allows AmeriCorps Health Fellows to stay on a parents’ or spouse’s plan; helps AmeriCorps Health Fellows obtain insurance through Covered California; or ensures that AmeriCorps Health Fellows receive Medi-Cal, Medicare, or military health benefits.
AmeriCorps Health Fellows are eligible to postpone the repayment of their qualified student loans for the length of their service term through an action called loan forbearance. The loan holder makes the determination if a loan is eligible for forbearance, but generally, most federally-guaranteed student loans qualify.
While AmeriCorps Health Fellows’ loans are in forbearance during the term of service, interest continues to accrue. However, if AmeriCorps Health Fellow successfully complete their term of service, they are eligible to have the National Service Trust pay all or a portion of the interest that accrued on qualified student loans that were placed in forbearance during the service term.
Child Care Benefits Program
AmeriCorps Health Fellows may be eligible to receive a childcare benefit to pay all or part of their childcare costs. These childcare benefit payments are made directly to qualified childcare providers for childcare services provided to eligible children on behalf of eligible AmeriCorps Health Fellows who need childcare services after the AmeriCorps Health Fellow’s term of service when the program begins.
You will get to serve alongside other service-minded peers who seek to strengthen our communities. Further, you will join a network of nearly 1,000,000 AmeriCorps Alum, who can link you to resources and job opportunities following your AmeriCorps service.
Following your successful completion of your AmeriCorps term of service, you will become eligible to receive the Segal AmeriCorps Education Award and California For All Education Award. The amount of the award for AmeriCorps Health Fellows enrolled in the 2021-22 program year is $10,000 (subject to change due to Pell-grant and California For All Education Award updates). This can be applied to pay for educational expenses at an eligible institution, to repay qualified student loans, or to do both. The award can be used for up to seven (7) years after the date that AmeriCorps Health Fellows complete their service term. The award is considered taxable income in the year that is utilized.
SERVE A YEAR
The AmeriCorps Health Fellow will serve side-by-side with health center staff and have the opportunity to be of service to your community and learn about health careers. AmeriCorps Health Fellow will provide culturally and linguistically appropriate health education, referrals, and enrollment into programs directly to community members and patients while getting the skills they need to pursue a health care profession.
AmeriCorps Health Fellow position will compose of:
- Health Coaching – Provide health coaching in one-on-one or group settings.
- Care Coordination – Provide health screening and connecting patients to health care benefits and services.
- Case Management/Patient Navigation – Assist individuals with navigating health related services/programs; provide eligibility assistance and enrollment in health insurance, coverage, and other health benefits programs.
- Community Engagement & Outreach – Conduct outreach provide education about available health resources and related programs, and health care options.
- COVID-19 Response – Support COVID-19 related activities such as vaccination efforts, providing educational information, link patients to services to health and/or social needs ( i.e. food, transportation, etc.)
- Volunteer Recruitment/Management – Assist with recruitment, training, and retention of non-AmeriCorps volunteers; assist with the management of non-AmeriCorps volunteers.
- Service Projects – Participate in various service projects; coordinate and engage fellows in planning and participating in community service projects.
- Training – Attend trainings on various health topics and resources as needed for placement, plus professional development training as available.
Why serve with LifeLong Medical Care?
Our AmeriCorps program is community service and professional development opportunity wrapped into one, this experience enables you to do great things for communities in need while getting in-person training and exposure in the health care field.
We are now accepting applications for the 2021-22 Program Year. All applications are due by Friday, July 30, 2021 at 11:59pm PST.
The Service Start Date will be September 2021 (start date is subject to change but will notify all candidates in advance).
|April 2021||The application period for the 2021-22 program year begins|
|May 2021 – August 2021||Primary and secondary interviews for qualified applicants|
|Late June 2021 – August 2021||Applicants will be notified of their final application status during the interview process|
|Mid-September 2021||Service Start Date: The 2021-22 AmeriCorps program year begins|
|July 2022||Service End Date: The 2021-22 AmeriCorps program year ends|
How To Apply
We are currently recruiting for our 2021-22 program year and will be filling 20 positions.
- Must serve a minimum of 1,700 service hours over an 11-month period.
- Applicants must be 18 years of age, or at least 17 years old with the signature of a legal guardian.
- Applicants must have a high school diploma, GED or commitment to obtain during their service year.
- Applicants must be a U.S. citizen, national, or lawful permanent resident.
- Must pass extensive background check.
- Applicants must make a strong commitment to service, respect and interest in working in medically underserved communities, and demonstrate abilities to work with diverse populations.
- The ideal candidate is someone who is passionate about health equity and social justice, and anyone who is considering public health, medicine, social work, and mental/behavioral health for their higher education/career goals.
LifeLong Medical Care seeks to promote a culture of diversity during the service experience for all Members. Persons of all abilities, races, sexual orientations, religious affiliations, cultural backgrounds and education levels are encouraged to apply.
We look forward to learning about you through your application. Please read the following application instructions carefully. Complete and submit your materials (resume, personal statement, references) as soon as possible to ensure full and timely consideration of your application. To be considered for the AmeriCorps program, you mustcomplete and submit the LifeLong External application.
Submit and Completed Our Application and Resume
Click here to access LifeLong Medical Care’s online AmeriCorps application. Complete all required fields in the Application, and upload your personal statement, resume, and references in the link above.